PRE- NCT TESTING AT Kellehers Auto Centre
The National Car Test (NCT) is a compulsory vehicle inspection programme in Ireland. The primary aim of the NCT is to improve road safety and enhance environmental protection by reducing harmful vehicles emissions in Ireland.
The NCT is a check of the basic requirement at the time of the test. It evaluates the parts of the vehicle which are visible and accessible. Passing the NCT test does not mean that you don’t need to keep your car regularly maintained. Even if you pass the NCT, you still need to carry out regular servicing.
Regularly checking and servicing of your car will result in better fuel economy. It will also help to reduce overall repair costs and lower the risk of breakdowns.
WHY GET AN NCT?
It is against the law to drive an unroadworthy car or car that doesn’t display a valid NCT certificate. New regulations that have come into force include:
- Five penalty points for driving a dangerously defective vehicle.
- Three penalty points for driving a vehicle without fixing a fault uncovered at the NCT.
- Five points for driving without a certificate of road worthiness.
Enforcement of the NCT is the responsibility of the Garda Siochana who have access to NCT records.
Avoid penalty points and improve your road safety today.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE PRE-NCT?
The free NCT check is a visual check. Included in this is a check of:
- VISUAL check of the brake pads and discs & all levels are assessed.
To get your PRE-NCT test customers must provide proof of their NCT appointment beforehand.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRE-NCT?
The test does not include:
- Steering mis-alignment correcting
- Headlight aim adjustment where detected.
At kellehers Auto Centre we will carry out the PRE-NCT test without obligation. We will also be happy to quote for any corrective work required to prepare your car for the N.C.T.
Mechanical checks may incur a cost. You will always be advised of costs before any work commences.
Questions?If you have any questions on this process, you can make an appointment online here, email us or call: (021) 434 5222
WHAT CARS MUST BE TESTED AND HOW OFTEN?
The NCT is conducted every 2 years for vehicles younger than 10 years. If your car is older than 10years it must be brought for an NCT test every year.
Testing was introduced on a phased basis as follows:
- Year 2000: Cars first registered before 1 January 1992
- Year 2001: Cars first registered between 1992-1996
- Year 2002 onwards: All four-year-old cars and eligible older cars i.e pre-92 registered cars tested in the year 2000 will be eligible for testing again in year 2002 because testing is every two years.
The main failure items for 2016 were:
- Front Suspension
- Brake Line / Hoses
- Headlamp Aim
- Stop Lamps
Source: National Car Test